• It is the alternative gemstone for people born in October and considered to be gifted on 8th wedding anniversary.
• It is found in almost every colour, most commonly used is blue but also available in pink, green and yellow shades.
• Egyptian legends called the stone as ‘gemstone of the rainbow’.
• It is one of the most fascinating gemstones in the history including the feature of exhibiting unusual tri/bi colors.
• As noted, tourmalines are strongly pleochroic means if viewed at different angles it changes the color and the color is deeper when viewed along the prism axis.
• California is majorly responsible for mining of tourmalines.
• The last empress of China, The Dowager was so much in love with the pink tourmaline that huge tons of tourmalines were traded to china during her reign. Until now, her body rests eternally on a tourmaline pillow.
• The most popular varieties of these popular stones include pink rubellite (deep reddish purple stone), blue indicolite (dark bluish black stone) and green verdelite (chromium resulting in beautiful green stone).
• Fine species of the gemstone is referred as ‘watermelon’ tourmaline as it exhibits concentric zoning i.e. they are red on the inside and green on the surface.
• Tourmaline has an unusual electrical property. When heated, warmed or rubbed, it acquires an electrical charge and attracts small pints of paper, lint and ash. In fact, Benjamin Franklin used the stone for the study of electricity. When the Dutch first observed this magnetic property, they used the gem to collect ash residues form their pipes. Thus, tourmalines were also named as ‘asshentrekkers’ or ash drawers.
• Legends believed tourmaline has the power to increase self-confidence, understanding and helps in concentration and communication.
• It is also helpful in neutralizing negative energies and helps fighting fears and grief.
• Tourmaline is considered a healer for the lymph’s, blood and the nervous system.
• It gives powers for the spiritual affairs and brings enlightenment.
• It was also helpful in developing creativity, therefore highly used as a tailsman by artists and writers for protecting against all dangers.
• Tourmaline is considered to guarantee happiness in a relationship, to balance emotions and inspire creativity in its wearer.
• It is said to be the ideal choice for all kinds of modern jewelry due to the incredible variety of colors the affordable price this gemstone is available at. Its unique properties and beauty has made tourmaline universally popular.